"The preparation you put into getting your property ready for sale can be the difference between getting a standard price and getting a great price... and, the best part is, it doesn’t have to be hard, time-consuming or expensive."
Buyers for good quality property can be found all year round. With the marketing process has become far more sophisticated than in previous times, the issue of timing is less critical today than in the past. However, there are some important points you may wish to consider.
It is often thought that the Spring and Summer months are the best time to sell because properties tend to present at their best, however it is also worth remembering that there may be a lot of other homes on the market because of this. Selling your home at other times of the year may see fewer homes on the market in direct competition with yours, and just a good a result achieved!
The average time required to sell property in Padstow Heights to Milperra area is 49 to 56 days, however, property that is accurately priced will typically sell within four weeks. Prior to placing your property on the market, allow an additional two weeks to prepare both the property and the marketing material.
First impressions count, so it's important to make sure your property looks its best from the moment it goes onto the market for sale.
And that doesn't just mean a clean and tidy interior, it means ensuring the exterior is as presentable and attractive as you can make it, because many people will check a property out for the first time with a drive-by before deciding whether to inspect it on open days.
Below are some easy and cost-effective tips for presenting your home, which will make it more appealing to buyers and can ultimately result in a higher price being achieved.
- Mow the lawn, remove weeds and mulch the garden to give a fresh look
- Trim back any overgrown shrubs
- Sweep (or pressure-clean) paths and driveways
- Remove any bikes and toys, or unnecessary items laying around the yard
- Park extra cars away from the property
- Clean windows and window coverings inside and out
- Make sure the roof and gutters clean
- Keep your garage, shed or carport clean and tidy
- Thoroughly clean every room of the home
- The kitchen and bathroom should shine!
- Have carpets professionally cleaned and deodorized
- Touch-up any chips and marks on walls, or where appropriate re-paint
- Repair any minor faults such as loose doorknobs, chips or cracks in the walls, marks or scuffs on floors etc
- Enhance the spaciousness of each room by removing unnecessary furniture and clutter (This will also help buyers imagine their own belongings inside the home)
- Consider buying a new set of towels and hanging them in the bathroom for each inspection
Before each inspection
- Give a quick once-over with the vacuum; carpets should be clean
- Put dishes and tea towels away
- Make the beds and put all clothes and toys away
- Turn off the television
- Keep pets out of the way and pet areas clean and odour-free
- Warm or cool the home to a comfortable temperature
- Place an air freshener in the toilet and bathroom to have a fresh, clean smell
- Place a bowl of fresh fruit or fresh flowers in a prominent position for colour and fragrance
- Open blinds and curtains to allow daylight to shine through the windows, and turn on the lights!
- Have a pot of fresh coffee brewing (Brewed coffee creates a pleasant aroma throughout the whole house)
- If you would like any help or assistance with the preparation of your home, we can put you in touch with a range of experienced tradespeople, handymen, and cleaners.
- You may also like to consider the services of a professional Property Stylist to help in preparing the property for sale. Their services can range from a brief consultation right through to cleaning and even furnish the home for you. In our experience, this can be an excellent investment in maximising the sale price of your property.
Sale Preparation Checklist
- Clean and detail the property thoroughly – both inside and out. A few hundred dollars spent sprucing up the property will increase the saleability and more than likely increase the sale price.
- A property stylist can help to improve the appeal of your property by enhancing its appearance. This helps in obtaining a higher sale price.
- Consider obtaining a building and pest inspection report. - This allows you to have necessary repair work done prior to sale. A 100% clear report can be used as a selling feature for buyers.
- The Contract for Sale should be prepared by your solicitor or conveyancer with all the essential terms and conditions. In NSW the law requires that a contract be available for inspection prior to the property being offered for sale.
- A certificate of compliance should be obtained from the Local Council if you have recently undertaken major building works.
- If there is a current lease, check the expiry date and termination requirements and advise your solicitor or conveyancer.
- Make a note of all the inclusions. That is everything that will be included in the purchase price and remaining at the property after completion. Standard items include light fittings, floor coverings, curtains, and blinds. These can also be excluded if you prefer but it should be noted in the contract for sale.